ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: Developer Manual Sample App

On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 16:01 +0100, Stuart Langridge wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 07:58 -0700, Rick Spencer wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 07:20 -0700, Rick Spencer wrote:
> >
> > > I guess we could just write some urllib2 code and then use beautiful
> > > soup, and use that to make a UI. We could start with a really simple UI
> > > that dumps a feed into DictionaryGrid.
> > >
> > > I'll give it a start, and see how it goes.
> > So I tried it out. I wrote this code:
> >
> >         # Code for other initialization actions should be added here.
> >         f =
> > urllib2.urlopen("http://identi.ca/api/statusnet/groups/timeline/8.rss";)
>
> I'd suggest using gio for downloads, because that's async and won't
> block the UI.
> http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/03/15/download-files-async-with-gio-and-python/ is the answer here -- we should encourage people to do as much stuff as possible in an async way (maybe a wrapper library would be good here? http_download(url, callbackfunction) ? )

Ah yes. I think we should do that next in the chapter. Get going with
just some quick code. "Oh! it's easy to do stuff on Ubuntu." Then, "oh,
I can even make it async pretty easy".

This is introducing Application Development on Ubuntu, so it's important
to make it fun and easy from the outset. Fortunately identi.ca seems
pretty quick, so it won't seem to bad at first.

Cheers, Rick