ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Latest versions in repos

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 10:01 -0400, Arc Riley wrote:

>         Many will gravitate towards this team for these types of
>         things as not
>         much other help is close to Ubuntu and many will not want or
>         feel the
>         need to be tracked from the distro they use over to Debian to
>         report or
>         request things. This maybe an issue for users that may need to
>         be looked
>         at.
>
> I'd certainly not advocate for sending anyone involved with Ubuntu
> project to Debian as a requirement to get work done.  Collaboration is
> of course encouraged, but Debian has a very different way of doing
> things that doesn't work for many people and we shouldn't be reliant
> on their packaging team to get stuff done here, now.
>
> Perhaps we should look at reviving the MOTU games team.

Maybe a good idea. Whats the general feeling of others on this?

>         Copyleft Games group?
>
> We've been forming an umbrella non-profit organization in the spirit
> of the Software Freedom Conservancy
> (http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/), who decided not to umbrella
> games projects last year.  Among the people involved are Jon "maddog"
> Hall and several PySoy developers.
>
> Beyond the functions of the Conservancy, handling money and copyright
> assignment, we're looking to help projects develop pro-copyleft income
> models around their games, develop effective marketing campaigns, and
> eventually setup a commercial copyleft games "publisher" for getting
> shiny boxes containing CDs in retail stores.

I'll follow the link and have a read later on.

>         Marketing is a key facet. However, marketing comes with users
>         and users
>         can have issues that we cannot ignore and bump off elsewhere.
>         How we
>         deal with these things is a group decision.
>
> You're confusing marketing with customer service :-)

:-) Wouldn't be the first time.

> Marketing is putting together attractive campaigns, organizing
> volunteers to do promotion, etc.  This is not a topic of general
> interest to "users", which is why defining this team is needed.  Is
> this a team for Ubuntu users who like to play games to join and get
> their frustrations resolved, or is this a team to put together
> promotional material and organize volunteers?  This team will have
> different membership depending on the purpose, lack of purpose makes
> this a catch-all and lead to frustration from a low signal-to-noise
> ratio for anyone trying to accomplish a specific thing.
>
> I strongly suggest establishing a place, team, forum, etc for handling
> these things which involve packaging problems and clearly pointing
> users there for support so we can focus on marketing.  I'm here to
> work on promotional campaigns.

Agreed. I can wear both hats on this and if they are split to more
sharply concentrate efforts is fine with me personally.

>         Do we have any members who have experience of hosting lan
>         parties?
>
> Yes.
>
> I've organized many LAN parties in Ithaca, NY and we're hosting
> monthly free software LAN parties in New Hampshire, next month (May
> 1st) is TeeWorlds.

Cool. Hopefully lan party related info will be part of a separate thread
that we can all learn from and build up some nice docs and howtos for
future use of the team.

Regards

Phil