ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: Ubuntu Gaming Team

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:51:36 +0100 Philip Wyett <philwyett@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 22:28 +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>> Philip Wyett <philwyett@xxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> > It could. Maybe additions of:
>> >
>> >  - List of participants.
>>
>> https://alioth.debian.org/project/memberlist.php?group_id=30862
>>
>> >  - A collecting of the more useful links to get you started from the
>> >    Debian wiki.
>> >  - Reporting of bugs in Ubuntu and then recommended but voluntary how
>> >    to check Debian bugs and go through that process.
>>
>> Probably.
>>
>> > Whilst musing... I know we have now the team to market and promote
which
>> > is this one and we have a void of no devel team visible on the Ubuntu
>> > side any longer. Would it be feasible to maybe setup a games swat team
>>
>> What problem would creating a new team solve that couldn't be done
>> within the Debian Games Team itself? Is using a mailing list ending in
>> @alioth.debian.org instead of @ubuntu.com such an obstacle? why?
>>

>- It would solve having to go to pages hosted on servers with the self
>  signed certificate problem. Launchpad does not have these issues.
>- I have been subscribed since yesterday and these lists are spam
>  heaven. Launchpad list control is better by my experience. I am very
>  sure I have not won 2 million euro. ;-)
>- Ubuntu users want to report and assign bugs to a Ubuntu team on
>  launchpad and not be sent all over the place. This is not about
>  what we know, but what a user knows and expects, which could be
>  very little about what Debian is to Ubuntu etc.

If users are assigning bugs to a team, in virtually all cases they are
wrong to do so.  Assignment indicates some expectation that work will be
done.  End users do not have the right to direct developers (whether paid
or volunteer).

We've already been through this once before and concluded that a joint team
with Debian is the best way to do this work.  Since Debian is our upstream,
it makes complete sense to focus the work there.

It really seems that this new team is about marketing, so perhaps a clearer
choice of names would be helpful and avoid confusion?

Scott K