ubuntu-gaming team mailing list archive

Re: identifying obstacles in ubuntu gaming and pushing it forwards

I believe that the way to draw people to developing for Ubuntu is to
set up a website (like launchpad) which is designed for people to
create dev teams, share resources (models, sounds, textures etc.) and
host code and downloads, totally focused on games. Perhaps even with a
game chart on the front page (top 10 games this month etc.).

Regarding the software part. There's no point forcing an engine on
people, because an engine is a tool, different tools are good for
different jobs (and nobody will follow the recommendation anyway).
That said, recommending a stack of cross-platform lower level APIs
(e.g. SDL+OpenGL+OpenAL) and writing a load of tutorials (similar to
NeHe, but less about OpenGL, more about game development with sections
on 3D match etc.) could help beginners get started and gain an
understanding of games, before they move on to using a full-blown
engine.

So I guess to summarize my opinion is we need a website which:
1. Allows code hosting and resource hosting (this is most important) for games
2. Shows a game chart (for marketing the games being developed)
3. Has articles and tutorials on various OSS engines (Irrlicht, Ogre,
Horde3D etc.)
4. Has a tutorial series on a lower level library stack

Basically just one big central point for everything game development related.

Luke.