ubuntu-gnome team mailing list archive

Re: Firefox & LibreOffice included by default

   - From what I understood in Jeremy's message, the switch to Firefox and
   LibreOffice is already enacted, so I won't really discuss it; however just
   to say that, as a newcomer to Ubuntu (I made the switch from W7 just after
   UGR 12.10 was released and it was my first GNU/Linux distro :-}), I was
   glad to discover Epiphany, a really straightforward implementation of
   Webkit; same goes for Abiword that I actually use to quickly view files (it
   opens nearly every kind of formats!) and Gnumeric, which opens .xls without
   a glitch (I don't actually *work* on spreadsheets, just read them).

All that to say that I would have probably never heard of (nor installed)
those programs, if it wasn't for their being default in UGR 12.10.
Nevertheless, I do think GNOME should quit developping their own web
browser to focus on less overcrowded and more strategic sectors, plus I had
plans to install LibreOffice in my next install anyway :-)

   - So about the email client, I don't use one either (webmail it is),
   however it seems to me a proper distro *should* ship with one; hence I
   recommend Evolution over TB, especially because it has a built-in agenda
   feature that works almost seamlessly with Gmail and integrates nicely with
   GNOME calendar.

   - About games, yeah I don't use them either: I would have uninstalled
   them all if it wasn't for being lazy; so keep it small, and that will be
   for the best ^^

I'd like to seize the opportunity to thank J. Bicha, for putting together
this unofficial Ubuntu flavor. I had much pleasure discovering the
GNU/Linux world through what is in my opinion the most promising (modern)
desktop environment out there, whilst retaining all the great Ubuntu has to
offer to newcomers like me.

Thanks a lot, and keep the good work!

Bastien