ubuntu-lgbt team mailing list archive

Re: Hello!

Robert:

On 24 Apr , 2009, at 15:41, Robert Wall wrote:

A preface: I am not an Ubuntu channel operator, I just hang around in
#ubuntu* channels entirely too often for my own good.

For those who haven't raid the guidelines we're discussing, here's the
link: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrcGuidelines

Language and Subject

     * All the #ubuntu channels are visited by people whose ages
       vary, and whose tolerances of language and subject choice vary
       equally as much. Please be considerate of everyone and keep
       all the #ubuntu channels family friendly. For general chatter
       you can visit #ubuntu-offtopic, but please be aware that there
       are limits to behaviour and subjects in there also. When using
       any #ubuntu channel, please avoid the use of swearing and take
       touchy subject choices such as war, race, religion, politics
       (unless related to software licencing), gender, sexuality,
       drugs, questionable legal activities, removing of ones self
       from the planet are taken to other channels such as #off-topic
       or ##politics. (Note Freenode Policy when you join those
       channels.)

Absolutely excellent!

Nowhere in this policy does it mention any group at all, but it applies to all groups. In fact, the only thing that I can think that is gray - and I think it has to be - is that MY family would see mentions and discussions of husbands, etc. are family friendly where I can see some people might not think that. And that "gray area" is what we have moderators for, of course.

The ban on gender and sexuality discussion does not "target LGBT people" any more than the ban on political discussion targets anarchists. If it
were unfairly applied, it could do so, but in my experience it is not.

Yes, I see that.

Now, I say that, at this point, not exactly having READ it so I may be
talking out of my butt (although that hasn't happened in at least the
last 5 milliseconds!)

That would probably be a good start, yes :)

:-D Right!

No, the policy, as its written, seems like it says exactly what it should. Now, if its enforced with equality then things should be OK, and if not, we have ways of addressing problems like that within the community.

As such, I would go so far to say that the original statement to our original poster was an incorrect "shortcut" statement. There IS no policy against LGBT anything, but there is a general, across the board policy against discussions that are, frankly, off-topic.

I like it. (And I'm sure everyone is just so relieved at that. :-) ). I think I'm gonna go home now and see if I can get Xubuntu 9.04 installed on my Pentium II laptop. :-)
---
Richard "Doc" Kinne • Rikardo «Dokĉjo» KINNE, BA, MSc., AMAAS
<kinnerc @ gmail.com>
"I'm the Doctor, and you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up!"
- The Doctor
"Forests of the Dead," Doctor Who