Re: [Titlepage] New proposal

On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 14:39 -0500, Wendy Sheridan wrote:

> I thought the door concept was brilliant... the people who are coming
> to the manual are "lost" and need some guidance to get started with
> Ubuntu and the open door (to me, at least) provided just that. If you
> needed to get away from the creepy Twilight Zone connotations, putting
> something on the other side of the door (such as the Ubuntu Landscape
> - whatever that is) would get rid of that.

For whatever it might be worth, "something on the other side" reminded
me of the following of my own works, for Wubi and Mudlet:
http://wubi-installer.org/images/window_tall.png
http://www.mudlet.org/wp-content/themes/green-updown-cloud/img/mudlet-header.jpg

> As far as "friendly"... the orange-red-brown color palette is NOT a
> "friendly" color scheme. Blues are friendly and also have the
> connotation of stability, trust, competence (why do you think banks
> and IBM use blues so much?). Orange and red are arousal colors (orange
> has been shown in studies, for example, to stimulate the appetite,
> whereas greens suppress the appetite). However, since these are the
> "official" Ubuntu colors, I agree that we should stick with them.

It isn't set in stone that we have to have the Ubuntu logo or that
anything else must copy its colors (though it might become a matter of
balance). A wide range of beige and brown tones have been used in the
Ubuntu realm, and somewhere in that range, we can find something
friendly but serious (as in: not overly playful or right-in-your-face).

Blue might appear friendly in same shades in the right context, but has
a tendency to appear cool or even cold.

> Well that's my 2 cents. Carry on...

Starting to wonder if I should.

--