Re: Not happy at all

Op 12-01-11 14:44, Ask Hjorth Larsen schreef:
On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 1:05 PM, lafeber-dumoleyn2
<lafeber-dumoleyn2@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Op 12-01-11 11:34, Ask Hjorth Larsen schreef:
Download the two po-files and run the command:

   msgmerge lucid-po-file.po maverick-po-file.po>    merged.po

This will move the translated messages over to the new po-file using
fuzzy matching.  After this you'll still have to review the fuzzies,
but this is much easier if you install a po diffing tool such as
podiff from e.g. pyg3t[1] along with wdiff, which can be used to
highlight the differences.  After that the po-file can be uploaded and
completed e.g. on launchpad.

[1] https://launchpad.net/pyg3t

Hi Ask,
Thank you for your tip. I have done what you described above, and now I have
a merged file (1661 strings, 400 not ready, 62 untranslated). This may be
the right starting point to continue with the translations of new versions,
providing that the maverick version is based on the Lucid version + extra
strings. I'm not sure if strings from lucid have been removed in the
maverick version. I will contact the manual guys about this.
I will not upload the merged file unless I am absolutely sure that the
result is right.
Regards,
Hannie

Hello Ask,
It's unimportant whether strings have been removed, the main issue is
that the existing ones are transferred.  If msgmerge produces a
po-file with more entries in it than it should (I don't know why that
sometimes happens), merge the msgmerged file into the maverick po-file
again to get something with exactly the correct entries.
This I will do.
I confirm that yes, this *is* the right way to continue with the
translations (as was mentioned in the very first reply in this thread,
so this should not come as a surprise by now)
I'm sorry that I haven't done it at that time, I probable didn't quite know how to do it. One more question. I have installed wdiff, gave the command wdiff fileA fileB. This resulted in a lot of messages (about 500 lines) in the terminal. I copied and pasted those in my text editor. Is this how it works?
Regards,
Hannie
, and indeed the exact
reason why msgmerge exists.  It's the standard procedure when
transferring translations when programmes are updated.