Re: Fwd: Re: Authors/editors chapter 2

On 05/24/2012 03:31 AM, Kevin Godby wrote:
The application tag is used to denote the name of an application –
that is, a program that the user runs. I don't think that term
probably applies to the launcher, the dash, and other persistent Unity
elements.  (I'm open to counter-arguments, though. My opinion isn't
particular well-founded here.)

If the tag is meant to refer to the user's perspective, the Launcher is most definitively not an application, but part of the environment. It is just there, it is used to *start* applications, it is not a normal window like most applications would present.

While clicking the Dash icon could be understood to start a Dash "application", the integration with the Launcher and Panel and the differences to the windows of actual applications all point to the Dash not appearing to be an application, either.

Neither Launcher nor Dash appear in the Applications lens ;)

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/