Re: User name in screenshots

Since we're already translating the text and retaking the screenshots
(as they'll have other translated text in them), does it make a
difference whether the full user name requires translation or not?

At one point, Ben Humphrey and I had put together a profile of a user
to be used throughout the manual – username, full name, password, a
list of example emails and other documents, social networks with
friends, and so forth. We never got around to actually creating the
documents and incorporating them into the manual, however.

The idea behind the profile was that the screenshots would look a bit
more realistic. Instead of showing an empty email inbox, there should
be a few read and unread messages. The user's full name should be
something recognizable (on a per-language basis) as a name.

Unfortunately, I think our work only existed in a collaborative online
pad and so it's likely long gone now.  If this is something that we'd
like to attempt for 12.10, however, we could start working on it
again.

The downsides of using a fully fleshed persona are that all of the
material created to support the persona would have to be translated
and we'd have to make sure that everyone is aware of the persona
details so that they're kept consistent (all screenshots need to use
the same persona files, all the translators need to translate the
names the same, etc.).

--Kevin