Re: Quickshot 2.0 - Creating a PPA

> I'm slightly confused... quickshot is (or was) a "Quickly" app in
> Python, not a C# app.  See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Quickly .  Why start
> over using a totally different language and ask for "project files"?

I have more experience with C# than I do Python. And I'm sorry for using the term "project files". I am a .NET developer, and that is how we refer to the "source code" of our applications.

> You can do a normal
>
>  bzr branch lp:quickshot
>
> to get the current quickshot codebase (and all history of that codebase,
> for the 7 months in 2010 it was under development).  That should include
> all the Ubuntu packaging files (under debian/ ) needed to build a
> quickshot package from source using the usual Debian/Ubuntu packaging
> tools.

I forgot I could do that.. I never thought of it really. Haha. But I will do that once I fix my Ubuntu installation. (Windows 8 and Ubuntu do not go together well when you dual boot....)

>  What would you need "project files" (as in the ones used by MS
> Visual Studio?) for?  Or does (bzr branch lp:quickshot) provide what you
> meant by "project files"?

The bzr branch will provide the files I was looking for. Again, I shouldn't have used my usual terminology.

> Wouldn't it make more sense to fix the existing quickshot app than to
> start over in a new language (and development environment) entirely?

More yes than no. Yes, because I will only have to fix the application, rather than start over, but No, because I am unfamiliar with Python. I will update the precious code that was written in Python, though.

> Info on creating a PPA is at https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA
> when you need it, by the way :)

And thank you Jonathan! :) that's what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Thomas Corwin