Re: Quickshot 2.0 - Creating a PPA

We discussed quickshot before. Here is a link to an email from Patrick (with useful tips):
https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-manual/msg03688.html
Hannie

Op 10-06-13 07:04, Thomas Corwin schreef:
I'm slightly confused... quickshot is (or was) a "Quickly" app in
Python, not a C# app.  See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Quickly .  Why start
over using a totally different language and ask for "project files"?
I have more experience with C# than I do Python. And I'm sorry for using the term "project files". I am a .NET developer, and that is how we refer to the "source code" of our applications.

You can do a normal

  bzr branch lp:quickshot

to get the current quickshot codebase (and all history of that codebase,
for the 7 months in 2010 it was under development).  That should include
all the Ubuntu packaging files (under debian/ ) needed to build a
quickshot package from source using the usual Debian/Ubuntu packaging
tools.
I forgot I could do that.. I never thought of it really. Haha. But I will do that once I fix my Ubuntu installation. (Windows 8 and Ubuntu do not go together well when you dual boot....)

  What would you need "project files" (as in the ones used by MS
Visual Studio?) for?  Or does (bzr branch lp:quickshot) provide what you
meant by "project files"?
The bzr branch will provide the files I was looking for. Again, I shouldn't have used my usual terminology.

Wouldn't it make more sense to fix the existing quickshot app than to
start over in a new language (and development environment) entirely?
More yes than no. Yes, because I will only have to fix the application, rather than start over, but No, because I am unfamiliar with Python. I will update the precious code that was written in Python, though.

Info on creating a PPA is at https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA
when you need it, by the way :)
And thank you Jonathan! :) that's what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Thomas Corwin