ubuntu-multiseat team mailing list archive

Re: new ubuntu multiseat wiki page

> How do you get loginctl to create udev rules for you?

Basically:

loginctl list-seats ==> get available seats

loginctl seat-status <seat-id> ==> get list of devices assigned to seat
<seat-id>

loginctl attach <seat-id> /sys/devices/path/to/device ==> assign a device
to seat <seat-id> (attach a master-of-seat device to a non-existent seat to
create it).

 > and MatchSeat key will prevent X server from trying to apply my SM501
> > config to my Intel onboard graphics card.
>
> If I understand the X source code correctly, it shouldn't touch your
> Intel graphics card if your Intel card is associated with a different
> seat (unless you manually specify it in your xorg.conf).

In my case, the Intel graphics card doesn't need any further manual setting
in xorg.conf, but the SM501 card does. In principle, I could just write a
custom xorg.conf.sm501 file with the needed settings for my card and pass
it to my non-seat0 X server via "-config" option (e.g.: setting
xserver-config option in lightdm.conf). However, in two scenarios, it's
impossible:

a) when I use GDM as my display manager, since it doesn't allow passing
custom options to X servers.

b) when I use systemd-multi-seat-x wrapper, since it overrides my -config
option with its own one.

To overcome these limitations, I would need to put my SM501 settings in a
.conf file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d folder (so that systemd-multi-seat-x
can't override it), but it has a side effect: X server would apply that
file for all seats, potentially misconfiguring my Intel graphics card. To
avoid this conflict, Oleg Samarin has written that MatchSeat patch, so that
a given "Device", "Screen" or "ServerLayout" section in xorg.conf only
applies to the X server with -seat option matching the given MatchSeat
value.

CANTATE DOMINO CANTICUM NOVUM
QUIA MIRABILIA FECIT

Laércio