ubuntu-multiseat team mailing list archive

Re: new ubuntu multiseat wiki page

On 2014-02-19 11:23, Laércio de Sousa wrote:
>> How do you get loginctl to create udev rules for you?
>
> Basically:
>
> loginctl list-seats ==> get available seats
>
> loginctl seat-status <seat-id> ==> get list of devices assigned to
> seat <seat-id>
>
> loginctl attach <seat-id> /sys/devices/path/to/device ==> assign a
> device to seat <seat-id> (attach a master-of-seat device to a
> non-existent seat to create it).

Ah, I get it.  Hardware assignments through loginctl are not permanent,
right?

> In principle, I could just write a custom xorg.conf.sm501 file with
> the needed settings for my card and pass it to my non-seat0 X server
> via "-config" option (e.g.: setting xserver-config option in
> lightdm.conf). However, in two scenarios, it's impossible:
>
> a) when I use GDM as my display manager, since it doesn't allow
> passing custom options to X servers.
>
> b) when I use systemd-multi-seat-x wrapper, since it overrides my
> -config option with its own one.
>
> To overcome these limitations, I would need to put my SM501 settings
> in a .conf file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d folder (so that
> systemd-multi-seat-x can't override it), but it has a side effect: X
> server would apply that file for all seats, potentially
> misconfiguring my Intel graphics card. To avoid this conflict, Oleg
> Samarin has written that MatchSeat patch, so that a given "Device",
> "Screen" or "ServerLayout" section in xorg.conf only applies to the X
> server with -seat option matching the given MatchSeat value.

I've been wondering why you added the MatchSeat patch -- now I understand!

I updated the "Configure Seat Hardware" and "Configure X.Org Server"
instructions to hopefully make things more clear.  Feel free to edit the
wiki if it's still unclear or if there are any mistakes/omissions.

Thanks,
Richard