Re: [Email App] Exchange Support

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Myles Hathcock <
myles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> **
>
> 1) It does, but does a relatively shoddy job of staying organized, and is
> heavily tied to the GObject system. This is generally a decent design, but
> we have elected (in the prevalence of Qt) to design the exchange backend
> using C++ and the new features introduced in TR 2011. It will, however, not
> use any Qt libraries until it is ready to be tied to the uPhone UI.
>
> 2) It's not a small task at all, however we love the uPhone, and its worth
> it to us to invest the time and effort into an enterprise quality exchange
> client.
>

> ---
>
> *Myles Hathcock*
>
> Co-Founder / Chief of Development
>
> Veridian Enterprises, LLC
>
> myles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> * *
>
> On 2013-02-18 11:42, Bruno Girin wrote:
>
> On 18/02/13 17:15, Myles Hathcock wrote:
>
> Hi Ubuntu Phone Devs, I'm investigating the market for exchange /
> activesync support in the uPhone email application. As far as I've been
> able to see, there are currently no plans to support these protocols, nor
> are there easily portable open libraries.
>
> Evolution has Exchange support [1] in the evolution-exchange package
> [2]. It doesn't seem to be available in Quantal and I don't know how
> good it is. Could some of it be leveraged?
>
> I would very much like to see the uPhone succeed on a large scale, and I
> think at least providing corporate email access to owners of this phone
> would help a lot. Assuming it has not been done yet, I will be implementing
> the EAS protocol and adding it as a plug in to the core email application
> (and also as a Thunderbird plugin eventually).
>
> I agree with that thought but it doesn't seem like a small task!

Yes, quite big task, also don't forget that Microsoft has the protocol
pretty much patented[1], is not easy to go around that as well,  if you
want to ship it in phones you need to pay the royalties, not sure how it
would be if you offer it as separated app/app store, you will probably get
in troubles if it becomes popular.

[1] -
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Legal/IntellectualProperty/IPLicensing/Programs/ExchangeActiveSyncProtocol.aspx

Best regards,