Re: [Email App] Exchange Support

I am aware of that, however, Microsoft has also listed it under a
subset of their protocols that have been exposed under their open source
program. We are investigating the legality of implementing a client
library, especially to make sure that it fits with the spirit of Ubuntu
before diving in.

If we discover it may only be done after paying
royalties to Microsoft, we will investigate our options, including
developing the libraries as closed source, and distributing the binaries
only (which we would prefer to avoid). This option is unappealing, since
it fights the spirit of Ubuntu, but might be a necessary evil to ensure
that the ubuntu phone is seen as a real contender in the market.

---

MYLES HATHCOCK

Co-Founder / Chief of Development

Veridian
Enterprises, LLC

myles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 2013-02-18

PM, Myles Hathcock <myles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> 1) It
does, but does a relatively shoddy job of staying organized, and is
heavily tied to the GObject system. This is generally a decent design,
but we have elected (in the prevalence of Qt) to design the exchange
backend using C++ and the new features introduced in TR 2011. It will,
however, not use any Qt libraries until it is ready to be tied to the
uPhone UI.

>> 2) It's not a small task at all, however we love the
uPhone, and its worth it to us to invest the time and effort into an
enterprise quality exchange client.

Hathcock wrote:

> [...]
market for exchange / activesync support in the uPhone email
application. As far as I've been able to see, there are currently no
plans to support these protocols, nor are there easily portable open
libraries.

>>> Evolution has Exchange support [1] in the
evolution-exchange package
>>> [2]. It doesn't seem to be available in
Quantal and I don't know how
>>> good it is. Could some of it be
leveraged?

a large scale, and I think at least providing corporate email access to
owners of this phone would help a lot. Assuming it has not been done
yet, I will be implementing the EAS protocol and adding it as a plug in
to the core email application (and also as a Thunderbird plugin
eventually).

>>> I agree with that thought but it doesn't seem like
a small task!

> Yes, quite big task, also don't forget that Microsoft
has the protocol pretty much patented[1], is not easy to go around that
as well, if you want to ship it in phones you need to pay the royalties,
not sure how it would be if you offer it as separated app/app store, you
will probably get in troubles if it becomes popular.

> [1] -
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Legal/IntellectualProperty/IPLicensing/Programs/ExchangeActiveSyncProtocol.aspx
[5]

> Best regards,