Re: Addressing the lack of Trademark License for YouTube, Twitter and Facebook Core Apps

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:20:54AM +0100, Gilbert Röhrbein wrote:
> On 22.03.2013 23:35, Robert Bruce Park wrote:
> >I'm disappointed that the work I've done on gwibber over the last 7
> >months will not benefit the Twitter app. However, it sounds as though
> >users who seek out a twitter app will discover one -- it will just be
> >a browser that displays m.twitter.com, instead of anything that was
> >built by the Ubuntu community.
>
> I just checked searching "Twitter" in Unity "12.10" on my laptop.
> Result is just the webapp, though Gwibber is installed.

Yes, I was referring to the phone that we're going to deliver, not to
the quantal install that is currently on your laptop.

> I wrote it already in this thread, but didn't get any response. What
> do you think about a feature, that Unity should know about keywords
> of an App and also search in them... So searching for "Twitter"
> would result in the Twitter webapp and Gwibber (cause the Gwibber
> .desktop file contains a keyword "Twitter")?

As far as I can tell, that feature is actually already implemented.
It's just that the gwibber.desktop file does not actually contain the
keyword "twitter", so you don't get it in the search. As an example,
try typing "inter" into the dash search, you should see firefox pop
up, even though the word "inter" is not part of firefox's name.

> I am searching for a way that users, even first-time users, will
> accept that Gwibber is the app to use Twitter, Facebook, whatever.

Well, the first time you turn on an android phone, it asks you to
register your google account. Presumably (though I don't think this
has been decided yet), Ubuntu would do somthing similar, except it
would allow you to register all kinds of UOA accounts, including
facebook and twitter. At that point, Friends will find your twitter
account and start notifying you about new tweets that it downloads. So
I guess those notifications could point you at Gwibber relatively
easily.

> >>Also, as a side question: where can I find out about the intended
> >>differences between Twitter Core App and Gwibber? Will Gwibber not
> >>be designed from the ground up with the Ubuntu Vision in mind and
> >>the Content found in services like Twitter?
> >
> >I don't know what you mean by 'the Ubuntu vision'.
>
> Oh well, shortminded as I am, I just thought about
> http://design.ubuntu.com/apps/get-started/design-vision
>
> But yes, convergence. Important. I summarize how I understood you again:
>
> * Gwibber capable of downloading and displaying Tweets
> * no branding of Twitter
> * superiority of Gwibber compared to webapp (background job)
> * Twitter Core App intended to be little more than Gwibber frontend
> * Gwibber should contain ALL THE™ features
>
> Like I thought. I can't make up a reasonable cause why there is
> something like Twitter Core App other than branding. Right?

Yeah, pretty much. But now that Twitter Core App is cancelled, we will
have to rely on the twitter mobile website as our "official" twitter app.

> The existence of twitter and facebook core app boils down to a
> branding issue? And their removal to a different branding issue? I
> believe Gwibber needs to be advertised and fine.

I have no problem with advertising Gwibber, I'm just concerned that
users won't know what it is, and won't be inclined to use it. So
they'll rely on the twitter mobile website instead.