[design] Welcome screen suggestions

Ok, I'll be bluntly honest about this. I've lately begun to wonder if the
Welcome screen at current is even worthwhile. From a pragmatic perspective,
it provides only *useless information* to the user. Or, *Information which
would never be acted on, under normal circumstances.* The number of tweets,
emails, etc. that you've produced throughout whatever time period will have
zero impact on anything you do on a daily basis, if ever.

If the user wants to adorn their welcome screen with aesthetically pleasing
artwork, they should just have the option of throwing an awesome wallpaper
up. From a design standpoint, I'd also wonder if it might look better to
just place the time and date in a small, elegant, and unobtrusive font on
the bottom left hand corner of the welcome screen and leave the rest of it
clean and empty to showcase the user's chosen artwork... that is, if the
user has elected not to show any of the active information I'm about to
mention next.

Would it be possible for the welcome screen to provide a quick view of the
weather (maybe *make *the welcome screen wallpaper a(n animated) graphic
depiction of the weather, and perhaps annotate some data about the weather
as well) and/or give an interactive view of unread notifications.

In all cases (including keeping the current welcome screen), what if
swiping up from the bottom of the welcome screen took the user directly
into the camera, since it isn't being used for anything else on the welcome
screen? Facebook phone took a severe beating from the media for having no
quick access to the camera.

Just a few, casual suggestions for your perusal.

--
Sincerely,
    Josh

Follow ups