Re: Ubuntu Edge (the Ubuntu handset)

Ubuntu Edge will miss $32m crowdfunding target if it keeps this pace, say researchers.
"Compared to the average Kickstarter, we can see that the Ubuntu Edge rose more sharply in the beginning and flatlined harder when entering the 'Dead Zone'," Waddell and Ligtenberg write.
"This is further evidence that would-be backers are *turned-off* by Canonical's incremental pricing structure. As the price of securing a phone has ticked from $600 to the present value of $775, backing has slowed to a snail's pace."
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/02/ubuntu-edge-crowdfunding-prediction-miss

hmmm, this doesn't look good guys.
As you can see they need to find a way to offer perks back in the high demand 6xx to 725 price ranges.
What are a few ways they can offer a different perk in that price range ?
Well lets look at Samsung and HTC, they're both offering a similar device but with less bells and whistles.
i.e. A good Samsung Galaxy S4 vs Galaxy S4 Mini comparison.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf9iU26AdV8
We gotta think smart like google did when they offered the nexus7 and it became so popular that Apple was forced to release the Ipad mini.
Well there are a few things that are nice to have, but may be getting in the way of offering something in the high demand price range:
So from the S4 mini example a phone perk in the 6xx to 725 could look like this:

-A not so powerful processor-A bit less ram-1 antenna-64gb hdd + some free online storage-Converged ubuntu (android optional; add like $25 more if you need this) ?

So not doing something fast would be leaving this "low hanging niche" unexploited. We need to leave those mental barriers behind when you want to break all records and have your campaign quoted for years to come. We should had been near 11M by now. The alternative would be to say goodbye to this project as of today, sadly...