Re: Thoughts on inhibiting app suspend via application lifecycle

Hey guys,

I just spent an hour reading 55 emails in this thread. The last reply was 4
days ago, so I can see the discussion dying out, but I can't see any
conclusions building up.

The service-only approach, while very easy to manage as an OS, sounds
extremely limited. And countless arguments can be found against it.

The policy approach, while it sounds empowering to the developers, it will
end up being abused.

There would be the permission approach, where the app would ask the user
directly "can I run in the background?", but, in the lack of context, the
user will just get confused.

There would be the "show background apps currently running in the
background so I can make an informed decision about what I want running",
but the average Joe (e.g. my mum) would get easily confused by that.

Just throwing a wild idea: what about collecting battery usage data from
users for each app and then in the store display a warning sign "This app
is a resource hog!"?

Zisu Andrei