Re: Device-Specific configs in debs

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 08:22:43AM -0600, Jamie Strandboge wrote:
> On 01/16/2014 08:08 AM, Chris Wayne wrote:
> > My point is that lxc-android-config should even only have *generic* container
> > bits.  Anything and everything that is device-specific should not be in the rootfs

> For the reference hardware (including the emulator), how does one update
> the device-specific tarballs if it isn't done in packaging?  I'm fine with
> the device tarball sprinkling files around, but it seems like Ubuntu devs
> should also be able to modify deb packages to update the image so that our
> images to ease development and have an audit trail via the Ubuntu archive.
> The current practice is to use lxc-android-config (though it could be
> something else if people wanted to change that).  Why can't we have a
> hybrid approach-- debs for reference hardware and device tarball for
> porters and OEMs?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.  If we expect porters and
OEMs to restrict their modifications to the device tarball, we really ought
to prove that this is viable, by holding ourselves to the same standard for
the reference hardware.

For the record, the device tarball itself is also built from packages in the
Ubuntu archive:  you can find the images in the /usr/share/android/product
directory of the 'android' binary package.  So ideally, we would be pulling
the per-device configs into the device tarballs via this android package,
and PES would only need to branch this one package (probably from the git
repo - which I'm pretty sure exists, even if it's not documented in the
package's debian/control :) for all of their OEM changes.

slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx