Re: How to build Ubuntu Touch for Nexus 4

Hi David,

Am 18.03.14 15:06, schrieb David Peter:
"I don't know where the difference comes from, but now I don't get the
error about a missing spec file anymore."

Figure it out is definitely the best knowledge, skills, teaching, you
could have.

Of course, and in fact I found out that the important difference was the installation of the jdk. The building instructions in the Ubuntu wiki don't require the installation, so I did not install it. But it seems that "breakfast" not only bails out when no jdk is found, it also seems to work insufficiently.

The build afterwards complains that I'm using an "unsupported version" of java, but I think that doesn't matter as I would be surprised if Java is needed for the build.

About the binaries blobs I don't know cause I was working on a
hammerhead port and I only built the real CM. I know that I didn't
encounter difficulties with that part. And I also know that I didn't
need to install CM.

It seems that the file extraction does only work from CM, at least for Nexus 4. If the phone still runs Android, some of the files in the list definitely are not where the list wants to find them. So instead of copying the files from the device, I copied them from an unzipped CM 10.1 and then I was able to build.

I really would like to understand the system better, but the situation around documentation is really frustrating. Most of the time some not so unimportant details are missing that might be clear for the experts, but confuse the newbie. As an example, installing the built images as explained in Touch/Building will not give me a running Ubuntu Touch installation, the phone just shows a "Google" screen and adb shell opens a busybox shell on the phone. I'm sure that this is correct, but shouldn't that be mentioned in the documentation?

Regards,
Mathias