Re: Landing team 20.03.14

On 20.03.2014 22:13, Kevin Gunn wrote:
> So wait...the screen is off, and Mir isn't rendering...and that's a
> problem ??
> hope that's not what you're saying.
> wouldn't be popular for battery operated devices.

Don't take it personally :)

> In fact there's been some debug to show that there has been a change
> identified in Qt which caused this. Crept in between images 237 and 238
> which is the Qt5.2 arrival
> (https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-phone/msg06947.html). Surely Qt
> depending on rendering for all events of every kind is a mistake.
> hopefully we'll reach a solution tomorrow.

As I said on the bug¹, this is caused by a change in Qt 5.2, whether it
was deliberate or not we don't yet know, but hope it is not. I'm not
sure we can emulate Mir's behaviour on other platforms, but that would
be helpful to see if it's maybe limited to the mir QPA plugin. Let's
investigate more tomorrow.

>     * unity8 crash when search in home and music scope (Kevin)
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity8/+bug/1294605
>     Depending on the amount of music data on the phone, it's quite easy
>     to make it crash. The bug is related to an older crash with the same
>     cause (pre-Qt 5.2). But it seems it's even easier to trigger on 5.2.
>     Not reliable enough though for upstream to get a good stacktrace
>     (all the ones we had were corrupted).
>
> Still having trouble getting a nice stacktrace on this.

Actually I got one this morning², both the new ones are dupes of the old
bug. Upon real thrashing of the music scope, also happens on desktop.
And seems to be a threading issue when the album art provider is
triggered too many times. We'll investigate tomorrow, but priority is on
the former one.

¹ https://bugs.launchpad.net/music-app/+bug/1292306/comments/8
² https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity8/+bug/1262711/comments/6
--