Re: Customized Upstart Jobs/Overrides

On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 10:46:09PM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > As Ted rightly notes, at some point in the future *all* upstart overrides
> > are going to break because we're going to stop using upstart as the system
> > init.  And when that happens, the fewer overrides there are in custom images
> > in the field, the better off we all are.  So Alex, for those places where
> > your team is evaluating disabling stock system services, can you please work
> > with the relevant folks to try to support this a different way?

> > Upstart support for multiple config dirs is still a useful feature which
> > we'll try to implement for you, but if it turns out you don't actually need
> > it in practice because the number of overrides needed is zero, so much the
> > better.

> how about making the usage of /etc/default/ mandatory for all our own
> services so we can easily disable them ... i assume this interface will
> also be still usable after the systemd transition somehow since it is
> widely used in debian and as long as the files are writable the
> customization kit should easily be able to flick a switch in there.

/etc/default should be deprecated with fire.  It is only used at all for
upstart jobs for compatibility with pre-existing sysvinit scripts that use
it for configuration, and is not an interface we want to use for new work.

Besides, /etc/default is also on the root fs, so this doesn't exactly
address the problem of custom overrides.

slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx