Re: Reviews and bug reports

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Victor Thompson <victor.thompson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This requires more 2 way communication and the ability to respond to ratings. Or maybe just simply obsoleting things regarding older platforms or development releases.

I think the two-way communication is crucial. I have a review/bug report describing a problem that I cannot reproduce. Has the user messed up their system in some strange way, or do I actually have a bug in my app? I need the user to run some diagnostics, but I cannot contact them.

Meta-ratings, sorting by versions, and tagging all help make reviews more useful, but they don't solve the problem I'm focusing on.

LP is not a full solution since it leaves out potentially many developers and their apps--so why even consider it?

Because it exists.

Look, it'd be great to have this work with all bug trackers ever. It'd be great to design a new bug tracker that's fully integrated with the click store and myapps.ubuntu.com. But that's a whole lot of work for an already over-extended project.

I feel like this could be implemented in a person-week. Less, perhaps, if that person were already a scopes and Launchpad expert. Once that's working and insanely popular, we could add other backends.

I don't want users to be forced to file LP bugs in order to get bugs fixed in any of my future projects.

The user shouldn't know or care that the bug is being filed on LP, or anywhere else. They get a text box, a submit button, and, a few days/weeks/months later, an email saying the bug has been fixed.

Right now, they would need to interact with LP to follow up on the bug. But if we can get LP to steal Github's respond-by-email mechanic, even that wouldn't be necessary.

Robert