Re: FW: bq Aquaris E4.5 - Battery Life

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 5:34 AM, Heroldich Robin <robinhero@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> First I would like to say thanks you to everyone who involved this project,
> it is wonderful. :)
> My bq phone arrived yesterday, and it is fantastic, I really like it. But
> the battery life is terrible. I poweroff everything (GPS, location, wifi,
> mobiledata, bluetooth) when I was going to sleep last night. The battery was
> full (100%), and now 8 hours later it is 76%. So the battery discharged 24%
> in 8 hours without any interaction. Is it 3% per hour. Is it "normal"? So If
> I don't do anything with my phone, just leave it alone on my desk, it'll
> only work for about 33 hours? It isn't good. My Android phone with similar
> parameters can operate for about 3 days without interactions.

Alright, after a few more tests I noticed that the push-client
interferes quite a lot with the battery consumption when you enable
flight mode.

Here are my results (all in idle):
1 - Radio enabled, connected via wifi, push-client enabled (default):
consuming around 4% per hour
2 - Flight mode with push-client enabled (default): consuming around 3% per hour
3 - Flight mode with push-client disabled: 0.5% per hour (and noticed
it really went into deep sleep for hours)

I had a script dumping the % and voltage at every 30 seconds, but this
is what I got:
26/03/2015 19:54:00 90 - 4239000
26/03/2015 22:32:31 90 - 4214000

And the result at 22:32 only shows up as I resumed the phone by
pressing power (no more data between both because the phone was in
deep sleep).

What ubuntu-push-client is doing is forcing a hardware alarm at every
5 minutes, and then checking if there is any new notification from the
services you have enabled in your device (from accounts in
system-settings). Having push-client enabled when enabling flight-mode
is clearly an issue
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-push/+bug/1437135),
but there are also ways to optimize it to avoid holding the suspend
when doing the polling (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1435109).

If you want to manually disable push-client, and run similar tests,
just run '$ stop ubuntu-push-client' from your terminal.

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo