Re: Apps wishlist

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Matthias Apitz <guru@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> El día Monday, June 08, 2015 a las 11:38:31AM +0300, Simos Xenitellis
> escribió:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Matthias Apitz <guru@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > Related to this, I do not want to have on my Ubuntu phone proprietary
> apps
> > > or apps with proprietary protocols which you may not have control over,
> > > which may have back doors and which may are "phoning home" to the
> > > developer. This was for me the main reason to select the Ubuntu phone.
> > > I deinstalled, fofr example, the HERE app.
> > >
> > > And, I do not need "Whats Ape" or Skype.
> > >

> > You can remove an app as Filip mentioned, or you can just switch to the
> > devel-proposed channel which will take away any bq customizations.
>
> I know that I can remove any app (btw: didn't I said this above about
> the HERE app). What is important IMHO is a big warning on any app which is
> not
> under source control of the community in the style like we have this in
> Europa
> on the packets of cigarettes.

My understanding is that the devel-proposed channel does not have
proprietary packages.
Therefore, I think it is good in terms of usability to just suggest to
change the channel
in order to achieve the goal.

> > It would be great when the phone browser gets support to access the mic
> and
> > camera, so that it would work to use https://meet.jitsi.org/ or similar.
>
> Wouldn't this mean that any kind of JS running in the browser,
> downloaded from a malignant side would have the same possibility?
>
> It has become quite tough to access websites without having JS enabled.

For the case of Jitsi, it should be feasible to create an app that can be
installed on the phone.
Therefore, all JS would be verified from https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet
Still, it would require https://bugs.launchpad.net/oxide/+bug/1410996 to be
resolved