Re: [Call for testing] Wi-Fi Hotspots (Internet tethering)

Hi all,

On 23 July 2015 at 02:10, lgd <linuxgehtned@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> but there is no
> ​ ​
> menu entry for wifi hotspot.

​On what device was this? Also, please note that the entry is currently not
under Wi-Fi, but Cellular/Mobile.​

On 23 July 2015 at 04:59, Mitchell Reese <dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yep, also on rc-proposed with bq, and would love some more instructions on
> how to test the wifi hotspot

​Silos are just PPAs <http://askubuntu.com/a/4987/68921> [1], but the phone
system is read-only by default. If you install the “phablet-tools-citrain
<https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/start/ubuntu-for-devices/installing-ubuntu-for-devices/#prepare-desktop>”
[2]​ package on your laptop, plug in your phone (assuming developer mode is
enabled
<https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/start/ubuntu-for-devices/installing-ubuntu-for-devices/#enabling-dev-mode>
[3]),
and run (still on the laptop):

citrain device-upgrade 46 1234

# where 46 is the silo number and 1234 is the pass code on the phone

# see citrain -h for more options

​This should make the phone system writable, add the PPA and upgrade the
system.​

To do this manually, you'll find instructions on making your device system
writable here
<https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/start/ubuntu-for-devices/installing-ubuntu-for-devices/>
[4],
and then add *ppa:ci-train-ppa-service/landing-046*.

The packages you want to upgrade/downgrade are

indicator-network,qml-module-ubuntu-connectivity,libconnectivity-qt1,ubuntu-system-settings,libsystemsettings1

​Right now, you can install these with this command, but please not that
these version numbers will increase as we continue to develop this:

sudo apt-get install
{indicator-network,qml-module-ubuntu-connectivity,libconnectivity-qt1}=0.5.2+15.04.20150722-0ubuntu1
{ubuntu-system-settings,libsystemsettings1}=0.3+15.04.20150722-0ubuntu1​

​​So if you get, “E: version not found …” you need to check this page
<https://launchpad.net/~ci-train-ppa-service/+archive/ubuntu/landing-046/+packages?field.name_filter=&field.status_filter=published&field.series_filter=vivid>
[5]
for new version numbers. :)

​O​
n 23 July 2015 at 08:21, Richard Somlói <level@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm on the stable channel, Am I need to change to rc-proposed to test
> Wi-Fi hotspot? Or just need to add the necessary silo?

​
The stable channel is fine—especially so if you install OTA5—you just need
the silo and a MX4 or Aquaris device.

There's also a heap of brilliant people
in #ubuntu-touch <http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ubuntu-touch> on
irc.freenode.net