Re: Web browser tabs turn white

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hi,
> Am Montag, den 10.08.2015, 12:47 +0200 schrieb Dominik Wnęk:
>

>> Does this mean a single webpage with no images is capable of taking up all memory in the phone? Because that's the usage scenario I'm describing.
>>

> well, it is definitely the same result, the renderer dies and doesn't
> tear the UI down with it (or notify the UI to enable it to show a
> message to you or some such)
>
> it might be a different cause from ram issues if you really only have
> that one tab and only the browser as only app open though (i.e. the
> lifecycle management and memory management wouldn't be involved in this)
>
> so in that light it perhaps makes sense to file a new bug since the
> renderer might have died because of other reasons ...

If the renderer was killed by the system, then that’s a memory
consumption issue (already tracked by e.g.
https://launchpad.net/bugs/1478853). If the renderer crashed, then
that’s a different issue indeed. Can you reproduce the situation
reliably on one given page, or does it happen at random?

In any case, feel free to file a new bug at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/webbrowser-app/+filebug with
as much information as possible, and we’ll triage it accordingly.

Note that there is work ongoing to display a friendly message to the
user when either situation happens, so that at least the user is not
left staring at a white screen without a clue of what just happened
(see https://launchpad.net/bugs/1375272).

Thanks!

 Olivier