Re: Web browser tabs turn white

Dnia 10 sie 2015 o godz. 13:21 Olivier Tilloy <olivier.tilloy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> napisał(a):

>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> hi,
>> Am Montag, den 10.08.2015, 12:47 +0200 schrieb Dominik Wnęk:
>>

>>> Does this mean a single webpage with no images is capable of taking up all memory in the phone? Because that's the usage scenario I'm describing.
>>
>> well, it is definitely the same result, the renderer dies and doesn't
>> tear the UI down with it (or notify the UI to enable it to show a
>> message to you or some such)
>>
>> it might be a different cause from ram issues if you really only have
>> that one tab and only the browser as only app open though (i.e. the
>> lifecycle management and memory management wouldn't be involved in this)
>>
>> so in that light it perhaps makes sense to file a new bug since the
>> renderer might have died because of other reasons ...
>
> If the renderer was killed by the system, then that’s a memory
> consumption issue (already tracked by e.g.
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1478853). If the renderer crashed, then
> that’s a different issue indeed. Can you reproduce the situation
> reliably on one given page, or does it happen at random?

Hi,

It happens on various websites I visit, like eurogamer.net or gamingonlinux.com. There are usually other apps running, though (meaning: the phone's been up for a while) and it looks like it's closing them, because they take their time to load when switching away from the browser.

Anyway, I just did a little test: I rebooted the phone and started reading eurogamer. Within 3 minutes I got the white screen, while loading comments to an article on the front page. Is there a way I can tell what the reason for the disappearing renderer was?

They have a mechanism on the comments page which loads in new comments at the bottom after reaching a certain point down the page; I've had it go white a couple of times while it was doing that. Also, it can occur while I'm just quickly scrolling through a lot of comments.

Generally, eurogamer is a problem site for the web browser, but that's a matter for another mail.

> In any case, feel free to file a new bug at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/webbrowser-app/+filebug with
> as much information as possible, and we’ll triage it accordingly.

I will, thanks.

> Note that there is work ongoing to display a friendly message to the
> user when either situation happens, so that at least the user is not
> left staring at a white screen without a clue of what just happened
> (see https://launchpad.net/bugs/1375272).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Olivier

Dominik