Re: General Slowness after OTA-6 update

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 9:27 PM, Ari Börde Kröyer <ari.kroyer@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Den 08. sep. 2015 16:33, skrev Jim Hodapp:
>
> The result could be worse.

>> I think we should at the very least warn the user that the phone is
>> uploading crash reports or generating core dumps, so that he at least knows
>> we're slowing down the system on purpose.
>>

> I completely disagree. This is a technical detail that I believe should be
> hidden from the user. Your average user will have no clue what a crash
> report is. I would say that if we can't actually report a crash in the
> background without taking up all of the spare CPU cycles, then this process
> is broken. Perhaps apport just isn't suited for mobile yet and needs to be
> fixed so that it doesn't peg the CPU and to popey's feedback, doesn't block
> the shell from starting again until after apport has finished. That would
> be the ideal user interaction - crash reports just happen in the background
> and the user can't tell performance-wise that it's even occurring.
>
> Jim
>
> I agree with Jim.
>
> If Ubuntu phones had not been sold mainly to a community of enthusiasts, I
> am certain that the current performance of the phone would cause users to
> discard it and generate an amount of negative reviews that I fear would
> permanently damage its reputation.
>
> Even with a generally forgiving community of phone owners, I think it
> would be wise to fix this issue very fast.

I'm a smoothness maniac myself :)
but I'm just trying to be a bit realist here :)
The problem has been there long enough to make me think it's not as easily
fixable as one would think (but that's just a guess).

I believe we should add some kind of feedback to the user ASAP, until the
proper apport fix is ready.

Keep up the good work! :)