Re: Long time to get GPS fix - hardware of software problem?

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Alan Bell <alanbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> so, today I cycled a mile to the office, walked around town for an hour, it
> is now 4PM and I go to a page I know uses location services,
> https://www.aldi.co.uk/storelocator/ it asks to allow location, I allow it,
> and it pins me at home, where I was 8 hours ago. Is this expected behavior
> of the caching? I suspect part of the annoyance is that some web things that
> want a geolocation only ask for it once, they are not tracking your movement
> they just want to know where you are to display stuff around you. For that
> kind of request flinging a very stale cached location at them isn't helpful
> because they won't update if a better fix comes available, better to block
> the request while making an effort to figure out the position.

That's the fine-tuning I was talking about earlier :) And no, the
behavior you are observing is not expected but a bug.
I will come back later with the respective bug number.

> When I have location services enabled I kind of expect it to check for a fix
> every so often, not just when I open maps and wait 5 minutes.

Now that is quite difficult, waking up the device from deep sleep just
to maintain a cache is *very* expensive in terms of battery,
specifically as choosing a sensible timeout is almost impossible.

Thomas