Re: GPS/location and other background processing

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Alan Bell <alanbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> it isn't really about that, it is about providing less broken location data
> to applications that ask for it. The current situation is that if an
> application requests location data it gets given random coordinates of
> somewhere you may have been to in the last week or so.

Hmmm, I'm surprised by that statement. The service hands out the last
known good location, together with a timestamp
and the accuracy aged out. If applications fail to handle the
respective data correctly, it is not the service at fault here.

> Then it thinks about
> refreshing the location and refining it over the next few minutes or so if
> the application is one that asks where you are again and again. If it could
> take a peek at the satellites every so often then it would enable several
> additional classes of application and would be less broken for things that
> only ask once.

That's incorrect. The service keeps on delivering updates to
applications that have requested continuous location updates.
It does so while the device is awake. Peeking at satellites does not
really help if the device went to deep sleep. First of all, you don't
want
to wake up the device for that, and second: only peeking for 5 seconds
will very likely not get you a fix at all. However, if you really
think that
the changes are worth being done, feel free to propose a branch
against lp:location-service and I will try to shepherd it through QA,
including our
battery/power tests. Patches are in general very welcome :)

  Thomas