Re: GPS/location and other background processing

On 29/02/16 15:35, Thomas Voß wrote:
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Alan Bell<alanbell@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>it isn't really about that, it is about providing less broken location data
>to applications that ask for it. The current situation is that if an
>application requests location data it gets given random coordinates of
>somewhere you may have been to in the last week or so.
Hmmm, I'm surprised by that statement. The service hands out the last
known good location, together with a timestamp
and the accuracy aged out. If applications fail to handle the
respective data correctly, it is not the service at fault here.

so is it a bug in the web browser application? https://www.w3.org/TR/geolocation-API/#get-current-position seems to imply that failing to set maximumAge should imply that you want a fresh position, but failing to provide the positionoptions parameter at all is less well defined. Perhaps it could start doing a position update when the screen comes on, so that by the time you use the browser (or camera, not sure if exif data is getting cached gps, but I can check that later) it has something worth giving you.

Alan.