Re: GPS/location and other background processing

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 10:27 PM, Royden Yates <royden.yates@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday, 29 February 2016 21:46:02 CET, Alan Pope
> <alan.pope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> On 29 February 2016 at 15:35, Thomas Voß <thomas.voss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>> Hmmm, I'm surprised by that statement. The service hands out the last
>>> known good location, together with a timestamp
>>> and the accuracy aged out. If applications fail to handle the
>>> respective data correctly, it is not the service at fault here.
>>>

>> I spent a week in Germany last week. At lunch time we wandered outside
>> from the exhibition centre and opened HERE maps to find a nearby kebab
>> shop (don't ask). Ogra pulled out his MX4 running rc-proposed and used
>> HERE to find a local shop and navigate to it. Our destination seemed a
>> ludicrous distance away from our current location, until we noticed
>> the current location on the map was actually the hotel we left some 5
>> hours previously. Cue a few moments of stabbing to refresh the app to
>> make it realise we've moved (quite a bit as it happened).
>>
>> While this may be "Working As Designed", it's not "Working in a
>> meaningfully useful way". Having a location which is "aged" by over
>> half a working day is pretty useless on a mobile device. Other
>> platforms don't do this (in my experience), neither should we, battery
>> life be dammed, frankly. I want the map to show me where I am now, not
>> where I ate breakfast sometime in the past.

>>> That's incorrect. The service keeps on delivering updates to
>>> applications that have requested continuous location updates.
>>

>> Then there is a bug in the platform. The browser (in which HERE runs)
>> is a default app and the location service is also pre-installed. There
>> is an issue here which clearly need nailing as I'm certain we're not
>> the only 3 people in the world to experience this.
>>
>> Cheers,
>

> Thing is, HERE does not use cell mast locating doea it? Ithink I read that,
> but who knows if the source was credible.

It does use information about the currently active cell, but does not
consider all currently visible cells.
With that, we still get an initial estimate with a lower accuracy than
what would be available when considering
all visible cells.

> A cell phone with appropriate permissions and the modem enabled should
> always know at least the location of the mast currently servicing the
> device. Mine does not. Wihtout GPS coverage HERE tells me it cannot locate
> me. Unav thinks I am at an address I left over 6 months ago.

That is simply a bug, not necessarily in uNav but somewhere in the
stack a stale cached location is kept around.

Cheers,

  Thomas