Re: GPS/location and other background processing

On Monday, 29 February 2016 21:46:02 CET, Alan Pope <alan.pope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Thomas,

On 29 February 2016 at 15:35, Thomas Voß <thomas.voss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Alan Bell <alanbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
it isn't really about that, it is about providing less broken location data
to applications that ask for it. The current situation is that if an
application requests location data it gets given random coordinates of
somewhere you may have been to in the last week or so.

Hmmm, I'm surprised by that statement. The service hands out the last
known good location, together with a timestamp
and the accuracy aged out. If applications fail to handle the
respective data correctly, it is not the service at fault here.

I spent a week in Germany last week. At lunch time we wandered outside
from the exhibition centre and opened HERE maps to find a nearby kebab
shop (don't ask). Ogra pulled out his MX4 running rc-proposed and used
HERE to find a local shop and navigate to it. Our destination seemed a
ludicrous distance away from our current location, until we noticed
the current location on the map was actually the hotel we left some 5
hours previously. Cue a few moments of stabbing to refresh the app to
make it realise we've moved (quite a bit as it happened).

While this may be "Working As Designed", it's not "Working in a
meaningfully useful way". Having a location which is "aged" by over
half a working day is pretty useless on a mobile device. Other
platforms don't do this (in my experience), neither should we, battery
life be dammed, frankly. I want the map to show me where I am now, not
where I ate breakfast sometime in the past.

Then it thinks about
refreshing the location and refining it over the next few minutes or so if the application is one that asks where you are again and again. If it could
take a peek at the satellites every so often then it would enable several
additional classes of application and would be less broken for things that
only ask once.

That's incorrect. The service keeps on delivering updates to
applications that have requested continuous location updates.

Then there is a bug in the platform. The browser (in which HERE runs)
is a default app and the location service is also pre-installed. There
is an issue here which clearly need nailing as I'm certain we're not
the only 3 people in the world to experience this.

Cheers,

Thing is, HERE does not use cell mast locating doea it? Ithink I read that, but who knows if the source was credible.

A cell phone with appropriate permissions and the modem enabled should always know at least the location of the mast currently servicing the device. Mine does not. Wihtout GPS coverage HERE tells me it cannot locate me. Unav thinks I am at an address I left over 6 months ago.

Regards R

--
Sent using Dekko from my Ubuntu device