Re: E5 OOB exerience

Michi Henning wrote on 21/03/16 05:49:

> On my first attempt to set up Wifi access, I selected my network,
> tapped “Show password”. Then, every time I hit a key on the OSK, I
>  ended up with three or four random characters. It was impossible
> to enter the password. I put the phone down for a while. Returned
> to it (screen had locked itself in the mean time), and tried
> again, this time without “Show password”. On this second attempt,
> the keyboard worked as it should.

“single tap causes many letters sometimes”
<http://launchpad.net/bugs/1386767>

> After setup (I allowed location data), the phone correctly got my
> location (well, within 10 km or so—there is no SIM in the phone).
> However, it still set my time zone to UTC+0, even though it should
> be UTC+10.

“time & date menu should have option to probe for location via GPS”
<http://launchpad.net/bugs/1377087>

> The today scope showed me the weather in Brisbane (well, near
> there), using Fahrenheit units. Here in Australia, we use Celsius
> but neither Today scope nor Weather scope allow me to change
> units. After changing the language to English (Australia), I get
> Celsius. However, I prefer to use US English for spelling and the
> like. Mashing language and units together in this way is fine for
> setting defaults, but not if there is no way to change one without
> also changing the other.

“Can't change locale settings (e.g. language, 12/24-hour time, date
format) independently” <http://launchpad.net/bugs/1392699>

Michi Henning wrote on 21/03/16 07:46:

> Now the settings up shows me “Previous Networks” and “Connect to
> hidden network…”. (My network is not hidden.) When I tap on
> “Previous networks”, I get a completely blank page. (Why does it
> invite my to look at previous networks when there aren’t any?)

I have a checklist for designing things, which includes this:
————————————
For every list:

6.  What should happen if it has zero items? (Should there be
    placeholder text or imagery?)
————————————

This “Previous networks” problem, while minor, was a case of me
failing to follow my own checklist. I did not consider the case where
there are no previous networks. Reported.
<http://launchpad.net/bugs/1560435>

> No wifi networks are shown at all now, even though there are
> several around.
>
> Pulling down on the network indicator has the same problems. It
> doesn’t offer me any networks I could connect to.

This suggests a problem with Network Manager.

Michi Henning wrote on 21/03/16 07:28:

> To the customer, it doesn’t matter how hard people are working, or
> how many people Canonical employs for this. To the customer, only
> one thing matters: whether the thing works adequately or not.

Exactly right. It doesn’t matter how many people are working on it.
And it doesn’t matter how quickly it’s improving. What matters is
whether, right now, it works.
<http://blog.ometer.com/2011/10/24/it-has-to-work/>

- --
mpt