Re: ubuntu one

* Gareth France <gareth.france@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think U1 was probably ahead of it's time. Canonical need it
> now, not back then.

I suspect the opposite might be true.  I don't really know, but
how it looked to me was that U1 came too late, not too early.
File clouds were cool and profitable for a while, but competition
grew quickly until it was no longer possible to make money on
dropbox clones.  Companies then used them as loss leaders but not
as profit centers.

Plus, U1 and its music store were a bit unreliable.  Stories like
this were far too common:  Someone would sync their desktop and
notebook, decide it was storing too much data on the notebook,
un-sync parts of it from the notebook, then discover a week later
that the data got "un-synced" from the desktop too -- leaving no
remaining copies.  Or use it as a backup service, wipe their
drive to reinstall, then try to restore the backup...  only to
discover that the "wipe" got synced to the backup copy and the
data was gone.  It's possible to be a little *too* synchronized.

-- Selene