Re: Installing Android on MX4

Thanks for the more detailed info, that helps. I'm still a bit confused though. Are the letters referring to hardware variants that I can't change, or just firmware variants that I'm free to choose from? If I choose the wrong firmware do I brick my device, or do I just end up with a different set of pre-installed apps from what I was expecting?

It sounds like you're saying that any MX4 that came out of the factory with Ubuntu is an "I", regardless of whether it was sold in China or elsewhere. So I've got an "I". It also sounds like that means I can only flash it with Flyme "I". That would suck. Google Play is useless here. I really need "A".

The linked page is in Italian but the firmwares are clearly labelled "Meizu MX4 Pro", not "Meizu MX4". Are those firmwares really OK to flash onto an MX4? Seems unlikely.

On 2016-04-05 15:43, Marco Graziotti wrote:
Hi,

there are four version of Meizu MX4:

1. Flyme U – China Unicom OS version: Chinese apps preinstalled, no google play. 2. Flyme C – China Mobile OS version: TD-SCDMA version (different kind of signal broadcasting), Chinese apps preinstalled, no google play. 3. Flyme A – Chinese Version OS: Chinese apps preinstalled, no google play. 4. Flyme I/G – OS version for international devices selled from meizumart.com and meizu.it: No chinese apps, Google Play is present.

Usually you can find "A" and "I" version. Out of China it's rare to find "C" and "U" version.
MX4 Ubuntu Edition it's an "I" version.

So, you can have an "A" version of MX4 and switch the Flyme firmware to "I" version. You can find both firmware ("Beta", "A" and "I" version) here: http://www.androidiani.com/forum/meizu-mx4-mx4-pro/484617-raccolta-firmware-firmware-meizu-mx4-pro.html (to download firmware, click the right button on the link and then copy and paste link address into your browser. Don't click directly on the link).

Pay attention if you want proceed to flash your device.

Bye