Re: Porting a GNUstep application to the M10

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 07:01:36PM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> lets say i created a container called "container":
> phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ ls .cache/libertine-container/container/rootfs/
> bin  boot  dev  etc  home  lib  media  mnt  opt  proc  root  run  sbin  srv
> sys  tmp  usr  var
>
> i installed the xterm package inside that container, this brought the
> "debian-xterm.desktop" file with it:
> phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ ls .cache/libertine-container/container/rootfs/usr/share/applications/debian-xterm.desktop .cache/libertine-container/container/rootfs/usr/share/applications/debian-xterm.desktop
>
> libertine needs a .desktop file outside of the container to execute the
> desktop file inside the container.
> it identifies it by having the container name, name of the .desktop file
> inside the container and the value assigned to the DISPLAY variable for XMir
> in the filename (currently only 0.0 is supported to my knowledge).
>
> so for me the three parts of the filename have to be:
>
> 1. (container name): "container"
> 2. (target .desktop file name): "debian-xterm"
> 3. (XMir DISPLAY=): "0.0"
>
> the three bits need to be connected by underscores... this results in the
> following filename:
> phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ ls
> .local/share/applications/container_debian-xterm_0.0.desktop
> .local/share/applications/container_debian-xterm_0.0.desktop

And the missing bit of information was... the name outside the
container is the name of the desktop file inside the container,
not the program itself. So I was duly creating
	puritine2_xterm_0.0.desktop
which is the name you fine at /usr/bin/xterm rather than the
name of the internal DESKTOP file, which is debian-xterm.

Once I changed the external name to use the internal desktop
name INSTEAD of the internal program's name, it just worked.

Now I have to set it up to use a font I can actually see as
the default is giving teeny tiny print. I presume I can modify
the internal debian-xterm desktop with switches specifying an
appropriately enlarged font?

And thanks much. It's the same in my business. The hardest things
to convey are the things which are the most obvious to ourselves.

Now I can go off to the International Space Development Conference
in Puerto Rico for the next week with my mind at ease knowing I've
got this puppy paper trained ;-)

| Dale Amon       Sr Engineer            amon@xxxxxxxx          |
| XCOR Aerospace  Your Ticket To Space   Spacecraft and Engines |