Re: Introducing Canonical's Ubuntu Crickets

El día Thursday, December 29, 2016 a las 11:06:40AM +0100, Jo-Erlend Schinstad escribió:

> > Hi Jo-Erlend,
> >
> > Can you point, please, to one or two stores selling Ubuntu phones. Thanks
> >

> A laptop becomes an Ubuntu laptop once Ubuntu is installed on it. A phone
> becomes an Ubuntu phone once Ubuntu is installed on it. The phones that
> were sold with Ubuntu pre-installed are still sold. Yes, you need to
> download and install Ubuntu, but that's no different than people installing
> Ubuntu on their desktops and laptops, which is what nearly everyone is
> doing and always have. The only significant difference is that the phone is
> officially supported, which your laptop probably isn't.

Just as background to let you know that I'm not some stupid newbie: I do
run FreeBSD on my latops, even on a Chromebook, all compiled from svn
rep, from the kernel up to KDE. I.e. I have certain idea about
computers after 30 years of UNIX since PDP-11.

Re/ Ubuntu on phone, you cant just 'install Ubuntu' on every phone. Today
this needs some binary container with Android kernel and device drivers
in it, and all packed together in some image one must flash into the
device. There are on a very few devices supported at the moment, I
think. That's why you need some OEM vendor putting this together for you, as BQ.com
did in the past. And no, you can not buy any new BQ devices any more,
only perhaps a few in eBay or Anazon, or second hand devices.

It makes no sense saying, just download Ubuntu and install it. Sorry.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@xxxxxxxxxxx, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045
No to the €! Out of this imperialistic EU! Out of the imperialistic NATO war alliance!