Re: The move to snaps

Hi,
I have bought the pro5 ubuntu edition too, i cant use bluetooth with my car
and im waiting always for further updates to see if it resolves it also im
having problems with videos the video player doesn't work. I would like to
know if it will get a snap image or i should just flash back to android the
phone that i waited for so long and cost me 600$ (phone+clearance fees)

On Monday, January 9, 2017, Seth Ciango <seth.ciango@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Contributions aren't just limited to code. One of the things we've
always said from the beginning of Ubuntu is that all contributions are
valuable. It's not just the code contributions. The translations and
documentation and advocacy and events and asking and answering questions
are all valued just as much as code contributions." --Jane Silber
> Unfortunately for Kirk, getting a straight answer out of Canonical seems
impossible right now. I think he and many other people would be content
with an honest, "I don't know. We're not certain right now." I hope the
communication improves soon. I understand that some people may not be
allowed to answer certain questions at the moment.
> However, Kirk bought a $300+ phone and is wondering if he should keep it
or get a refund. So his inquiry is perhaps a little more time sensitive for
him, and I'm surprised that no one has responded.
> Well, Kirk, I have not seen anybody confirm that the Meizu Pro 5 will
receive any meaningful updates in the future. It is a beautiful phone, but
it may not be fully functional for you and may never become your daily
driver. The bluetooth headset functionality does not work. It is fine for
listening to music but not for taking calls. If you are ok with that and
just want to tinker, then you'll be fine. If you want the phone to replace
your current phone as your daily driver, you may want a refund.
> This bug report will give you more information on the headphone issue:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/canonical-devices-system-image/+bug/1590844
> As you can see, the bug and the contributors have been abandoned and
there is no indication that the bug will ever be resolved or even worked on.
> If the Meizu Pro 5 receives a snap-based distro upgrade, there is a good
chance that the bug and many other bugs will be resolved by the newer
kernel and newer software. As of right now, it looks like the programmers'
hands are tied, and they can not fix such a critical bug.

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 6:10 AM, Kirk Turner <gameldar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I'm certainly interested to know what that state will be with the Meizu
Pro 5... as I'm in the interesting position that I might get to choose in
the next few days whether I get a replacement Pro 5 or a refund for mine
which died a month after I bought it. I got a Flyme OS one and it was going
to be my Christmas holiday project converting it to Ubuntu... but it died
before I got the opportunity and so the Christmas project became tracking
the postage back to China.
>> I know there is talk about upgrading Flyme OS to be Nougat based this
year - but would that necessarily see kernel upgrades (such that the phone
will be able to run snaps)?

>> I guess the related question is from others that have the Pro 5 if I was
just very unlucky or others have had hardware issues? Everything I've read
suggested they a solidly built phone.
>> Thanks,
>> Kirk
>> On 6 January 2017 at 01:26, Seth Ciango <seth.ciango@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Pat,
>>> Could you clarify something that others keep bringing up. Are the
current BQ and Meizu devices going to be left to wither on the vine when a
Xenial image is released or will users be able to flash and wipe their
phones with a new Xenial image?
>>> Is there a current phone on the market that is the target for future
Xenial development?
>>> Is there a current phone on the market that runs a partially
functioning Xenial image?
>>> You've probably answered these questions already, but there still seems
to be some confusion since it sounds like you are saying that ALL current
Ubuntu phones are End-of-Life and that no new phones currently exist.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Seth

current logic and plans is all that was needed to keep everyone happy. If
we understand what is going on then nobody begins to worry about the
silence. Looking forward to every bit of it except having to find the money
to replace my phone!!

support the snaps but what about the M10 tablet?

testing work but this is not intended for "production" use at this point.