ubuntu-push-devs team mailing list archive

Re: status?

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 6:23 AM, Robert Park <robert.park@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Lucio Torre <lucio.torre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> I see how this solution is a lot more expensive to you than the current
>> "have the device do polling" solution, but i don't think it's a problem with
>> the solution we propose, but a problem with needing to poll, which we cannot
>> allow on the device.
>

> Yeah, it's a shame because I agree with all of the goals, I agree that
> polling is atrocious, but it's an architecture that I largely inherited and
> have little control over. It's not really clear to me that it makes any
> sense for Friends to continue to exist at this point. So I guess my plan is
> to leave friends as-is, get it off the default install, come up with some
> alternate solution for share-app (friends is the backend for share-app
> currently). Fortunately, social network *uploads* can be done without
> polling, so that should not be difficult.

A question then is: Who is using friends, except for the share-app.
For timelines: Let's keep friends in place as is until we have
solified the plans around the push-service. I think we all agree on
the plan for the plan as John pointed out, but it will take some time
to put such a piece of global infrastructure into place.

HTH,

  Thomas