ubuntu-tv team mailing list archive

Re: Some basic ideas for Ubuntu TV.

Please try to make it a little easier to read. I had difficulty finding your reply at all.

Den 29. nov. 2011 10:03, skrev Ian Santopietro:

Why? What benefits does this offer? If you want Ubuntu Desktop, why not just install Ubuntu Desktop?

Ubuntu TV will be Ubuntu Desktop with a different set of default applications, as I explained before. Having the normal Unity installed, which seems to require less than one megabyte, does not mean having the full Ubuntu Desktop. Why can't you see that it is possible to have something without requiring everything? Having Unity installed by default does not require you to have LibreOffice installed by default, for instance. But it should be installable, and the user should not have to hack Compiz in order to be able to switch between TV view and other things.

Indeed, Unity is very much suited for a TV already, since it's specifically designed to allow you to use direct shortcuts to launch or switch to applications by numbers. So I'm not entirely convinced it would be necessary to have a radically different shell at all. A customized Ubuntu desktop might work well.

Having two modes *is* confusing for the end user, *and* it's a lot of extra work for developers. Remember the netbook edition switcher?

I don't understand why it is impossible to make it easy to switch between two screens with a button. Can you explain that? I mean, you're talking about software that doesn't exist, and you still make the claim that the software _is_ confusing and that it is a lot of work for developers. I don't understand how you can know that about software that doesn't exist.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad