Re: Fwd: Getting users to care (was Re: [Fwd: Re: Update manager])

I had meant to chat with Martin Pitt after his plenary, but never managed to
catch up with him. I forgot about it until I was going through my notebook
the other day. It would be really great if when update-manager presented
itself, some bugs (ones that you reported/subscribed to on LP) had a nice
messsage that made you really excited to update because your bug was fixed!
Make updates fun!

David Siegel also had a really great idea for making updates fun (and it
also solves the issue of how to handle updates- notification icon or
pop-under window) at the "install updates on shutdown" discussion. Let me
preface this with these are his ideas and not mine, I think they're great
and he deserves the credit. His idea was to do updates at login. We could do
the checking while you're using, and then if we find them on reboot show
them in gdm with a nice present icon, like we're giving you a gift. This way
if an update requires a restart, you don't have to save your state, restart,
blah blah blah and interrupt your entire workflow, you haven't started yet.
It might not be possible now, but when the clutter gdm finally lands we
could do it really beautifully.

--
-- Alex Launi