Re: Fwd: Getting users to care (was Re: [Fwd: Re: Update manager])

> David Siegel also had a really great idea for making updates fun (and it
> also solves the issue of how to handle updates- notification icon or
> pop-under window) at the "install updates on shutdown" discussion. Let me
> preface this with these are his ideas and not mine, I think they're great
> and he deserves the credit. His idea was to do updates at login. We could do
> the checking while you're using, and then if we find them on reboot show
> them in gdm with a nice present icon, like we're giving you a gift. This way
> if an update requires a restart, you don't have to save your state, restart,
> blah blah blah and interrupt your entire workflow, you haven't started yet.
> It might not be possible now, but when the clutter gdm finally lands we
> could do it really beautifully.

Good intent, bad idea.
When you turn on the pc it's because you needed. Windows shows the
update notification on shutdown, which makes much more sense (and if
you just installed some reboot requiring update, even more).

I wouldn't oppose to a well done, good designed entry on shutdown:

Updates available !  Keeping your system up to date is important.
[x] Install the updates before logging out. [ Open the update manager ]

Stefano