Re: Updates on Login

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 10:42 PM, mac_v<drkvi-a@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>
>> On the other hand, fast boot is an explicit Ubuntu design goal for a
>> variety of reasons including users typically start their computers because
>> they want to use them.
>>
>> Before getting too set on installing updates at boot, I'd suggest some
>> discussion with the people on the Ubuntu foundations team working on faster
>> boot speed.
>>
>> Scott K
>>

> ^+1 to Scott,
> The only problem with constant reboots is, the delay to get your work
> started, this leads to people not installing the updates at boot at all,
>  but rather later during the system use.
>
> Is there a way to explicitly *not start the package and update it* ?
>
> Like for example , now , when we do an update which asks for a reboot,
> We only need to reboot once, But when updates are done at login , we are
> rebooting twice[well not reboot exactly but starting the system twice].
>
> So is there a way to mark the packages which require reboot , and Not
> start them during the boot , but to update them and this would just
> *delay the boot by a few seconds during which the present icon is shown*
>
> This way the user never actually reboots .
>
> But, i guess ,this can be done better with updates at shutdown.
> With *updates at shutdown the user never has to actually reboot* . the
> word Reboot doesnt even have to be used!
>
> The only scenario which is against updates at shutdown is for laptops ,
> needing immediate shutdown.
> *So doing updates at shutdown and allowing option to instant shutdown*
> is more logical and user friendly.
>
> cheers,
> mac_v

Yeah, I think I see what you mean, this is kind of cool. So during one
session my updates are downloaded automatically in the background. The
next time I restart, before the desktop environment is loaded, we
display a large present graphic with an encircling progress bar that
says "Updating your system" and something like "Press Escape to boot
immediately without updates". Being pre-downloaded, this could be
pretty fast. Afterwards it goes in to the normal boot sequence, or if
a reboot is required, restarts the kernel.

I agree that log-in time is not very disruptive since I have nothing
to interrupt except my patience and if I am in a hurry I can just
press escape. That said shut-down also has some potential. I think it
is cool that we are throwing out all sorts of ideas and conceptually
iterating on them. Keep it up!

Michael Rooney
mrooney@xxxxxxxxxx