Re: Updates on Login

Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On the other hand, fast boot is an explicit Ubuntu design goal for a
> variety of reasons including users typically start their computers because
> they want to use them.
>
> Before getting too set on installing updates at boot, I'd suggest some
> discussion with the people on the Ubuntu foundations team working on faster
> boot speed.
>
> Scott K

^+1 to Scott,
The only problem with constant reboots is, the delay to get your work
started, this leads to people not installing the updates at boot at all,
 but rather later during the system use.

Is there a way to explicitly *not start the package and update it* ?

Like for example , now , when we do an update which asks for a reboot,
We only need to reboot once, But when updates are done at login , we are
rebooting twice[well not reboot exactly but starting the system twice].

So is there a way to mark the packages which require reboot , and Not
start them during the boot , but to update them and this would just
*delay the boot by a few seconds during which the present icon is shown*

This way the user never actually reboots .

But, i guess ,this can be done better with updates at shutdown.
With *updates at shutdown the user never has to actually reboot* . the
word Reboot doesnt even have to be used!

The only scenario which is against updates at shutdown is for laptops ,
needing immediate shutdown.
*So doing updates at shutdown and allowing option to instant shutdown*
is more logical and user friendly.

cheers,
mac_v

PS:BTW, *the present icon used in update manager window would be nice*