Re: notify-osd + fullscreen + multiple monitors

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 06:44:33 +0100 Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 05:49:16 +0100 Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In this initiative, I want us to take a different approach. We will
strip

>> away non-essential decisions from the user experience, at the cost of
>> flexibility in the final product. For me, that's not a bug, it's a
feature,
>> though I accept that others feel differently. I'd like to build a
community
>> that is aligned with that goal - here on the Ayatana list.
>>
>> Is this then an invitation for those who do not accept this premise to
>> leave?
>>
>There will be plenty of useful conversations we can have even if we have
>different perspectives, it's up to you to decide if you'd like to stay.
>But for my purposes, it works better to work closely with a community
>that does agree on values such as this. Imagine the endless threads it
>would generate if we disagreed on this key point.

I think that this view limits your potential audience, but if considered it's a settled matter
in Ayatana, then it's something we will have to agree to disagree on.  It
certainly does not require the topic be rehashed endlessly.

>You know, classically, this was a GNOME vs KDE value, but I don't
>believe it is that any more. I've seen KDE folks increasingly aligned
>with this value too.

I think everyone agrees there can be too many options.  Where too many
starts generates a much wider range of opinion.

I think the message indicator is something that is likely to be almost
useful to me, but that conflicts a bit too much with my work patterns.  I
had been pondering proposing some configurability to deal with where I find
it problematic, but I'll drop it and expend the mental energy elsewhere.

Scott K