Re: Application indicators in gnome shell

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 21:56, Ted Gould <ted@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 16:53 -0700, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 16:24, Ted Gould <ted@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >         Shell does have a way to embed things in its panel, it is
> >         using the
> >         current notification area spec.  That's how they get things
> >         like
> >         gnome-power and network-manager into their panel.  Honestly,
> >         they're
> >         going to have to move on from that for lots of reasons.
> >
> > Is there anything in the current indicator-applet, or for that matter
> > me-applet and indicator-session-applet, that couldn't be done this
> > way, via the notification spec?
>
> Yes, the notification area only allows for windows to exist, pretty much
> in vacuum.  So there is no way for them to communicate amongst each
> other to create something like a menu bar.  There are other issues with
> the notification area spec, but that's one of the key ones.

Other notification-area applets seem to do the same thing, ie, a menu with
contents that vary based on conditions.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that individual libindicate applications
create notification icons. I'm suggesting that the indicator applet itself
should be a notification icon.

--
Jeremy Nickurak -= Email/XMPP: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx =-